I FUCKED UP I FUCKED UP I FUCKED UP
Flirtation 101 by Cecil.
wow shut up and go away you fuckin homo
You’re both fucking cuties
OH MY GOD HOW DOES ANY OF THIS STRIKE YOU AS CUTE BANANA HOW
I FUCKED UP I FUCKED UP I FUCKED UP
Flirtation 101 by Cecil.
wow shut up and go away you fuckin homo
A virulently anti-Islam movie trailer sparked widespread protests across the Arab world and may have caused the death of a U.S. ambassador. But the truth about Islam is anything but hateful, writes Olga M. Davidson.
September 13, 2012
1. Allah is not a name of a god. It is the Arabic word God, with a capital G, referring to the very same god that Christians and Jews worship. If you want to be very literal-minded it means “the god” because it is the definitive of the word “god” (ilah or ilāh), and if one adds the definitive article (al) it become Allah (Allāh, actually but let’s not quibble). In Farsi, God is called khodah—as in French, God is called Dieu, etc.
2. Mohammad isn’t a god. According to Islam, Mohammad is the final prophet, or messenger of God. He isn’t worshipped, since he isn’t God or an avatar of God. His example is emulated, but he is considered a real person, who eats, sleeps, loves, and so on. Islam has many prophets before Mohammad, including Abraham, Moses and Jesus and arguably Mary, because she spoke with God. Mohammad is just a man; progeny of human beings. In the Qur’ān it is clearly stated that God is neither begotten nor begets (lam yalid wa lam yūlad)
3. Speaking of Mary, mother of Jesus … she is considered to be among the finest of women and there is an entire surah, or chapter in the Qur’ān, entitled Maryam, the Arabic form of Mary. She is emulated because of her unwavering faith in God and her supreme spirituality. She becomes pregnant with Jesus, though a virgin, because God can do anything, but God is not considered to be the father.
4. Mohammad was not a womanizer. He married a widow, Khadijah, and was singularly devoted to her until she died. She left him with Fatima, their daughter. Upon her death, Mohammad did not want to remarry but was urged to do so by his followers. His subsequent marriages were primarily to form alliances with his nearest and dearest as well as with more remote followers. In the Sunni tradition, Aishah, daughter of Abu Bakr, was considered to be his favorite wife. She was married to him at a very early age and was consequently raised by him and was his only virgin bride. Her tender age was considered to be normal at the time, but marriages are not consummated until the bride has menstruated, just as in Game of Thrones. His other wives were either widows or divorcées. Mohammad wanted to form a tribe or ummah that was connected through faith, as opposed to blood ties. As this tribe grew, consolidating it through marriage ties was politically prudent. At the time, polygamy at was the norm in Arab tribal society and marrying widows and divorcées was a noble thing to do.
5. Women aren’t sold into marriage. Marriage and divorce in Islam have been greatly misunderstood. In Islam, marriage is a contract, not an oath. The groom has to give the bride a dowry to make the contract valid, and that dowry is for her and her alone to use as she wishes. Hence, her father or uncle or brother does not sell her. Unlike her Christian and Jewish sisters at the time, Muslim women could own property. As for divorce, it is not as simple as making a public declaration. Because marriage is a contract, dowry negotiations are taken very seriously; half the dowry is given at the marriage, while the second half has to be given if the bride asks for it or if the marriage is terminated through no fault of the bride. Furthermore, the groom needs to answer to the bride’s family of he wishes to terminate the contract. A bride can terminate the marriage if her husband is impotent or abusive; if he is an alcoholic or drug abuser; if he forces her to abandon her faith or act in a way that she deems as abandoning her faith; or if he disappears for over a year. Marriage as contract, not an oath, is are meant to be fluid, and if a couple is not happy in living together, they can part from each other, remarry and continue to live normal lives.
6. Mohammad was not illiterate. The word Qur’ān means recitation, coming from the root q-r-‘, which means primarily to recite or declaim and then to read. If Mohammad is said to be illiterate, that is to underscore the importance of the spoken word, not the written word. The angel Gabriel gave the command form of q-r-’, saying iqra’ , which means “recite!” in Arabic, when he transmitted the message of God as opposed to having something written on tablets. That is why memorizing the Qur’ān is so valued. Under Uthman, who was caliph from 644-656, the Qur’ān became a fixed text, as in it was written down as a finalized text and has not changed since. The style of the Qur’ān in Arabic is rhymed prose, so it is easier to memorize and is considered to be inimitable. The physical book as called a maṣḥaf (pronounced as maṣ-ḥaf), which means pages between two covers or a volume, but the value of those pages is in the recitation. When the Qur’ān became mass-produced, recitations of it were considered extremely reliable, to the great surprise of European editors.
7. You can’t be a Muslim if you don’t want to be. Contrary to the misnomer, “Islam or the Sword!”, the Qur’ān is quite clear about not forcing anyone to convert. Conversion must be done through the heart. It is simple because one just has to pronounce, with sincere intention, the shahida: lā ilāh ilā allāh wa muhammad rasūlu’llāh ( “there is no god but God and Mohammad is his messenger”) three times in front of credible witnesses. Hence one comes to Islam from pure intention as opposed to being schooled by a priest, minister or rabbi.
8. You are unlikely to meet 72 virgins in heaven. The Qur’ān says nothing about 72 virgins waiting for you in heaven. Heaven is described, among other things, as the opposite of the harsh desert, hence it is verdant with the river or body of water, Kawthar, and filled with hūr al ayn, which means “ones with eyes that are very dark around the pupil”—a sign of true beauty. The concept of 72 virgins comes from outside of the Qur’ān.
9. Non-Muslims are not infidels. Christians and Jews—also Zoroastrians, for that matter—are considered to be ahl al kitāb or “people of the book,” because they are monotheists, and Islam is strictly monotheistic. References to infidels in the Qur’ān usually have to do with the Quraishi of Mecca, Mohammad’s own tribe, because they tried to kill him and destroy his following. Same would go for any Christian or Jewish tribe with the same intent.
Olga Merck Davidson earned her Ph.D. in 1983 from Princeton University in Near Eastern Studies. She is on the faculty of the Institute for the Study of Muslim Societies and Civilizations, Boston University, where she has served as Research Fellow since 2009. From 1992 to 1997, she was Chair of the Concentration in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies at Brandeis University. Since 1999, she has been Chair of the Board, Ilex Foundation.She is the author of two books: Poet and Hero in the Persian Book of Kings (Cornell University Press: Ithaca, 1994; 2nd ed. Mazda Press: Los Angeles, CA, 2006) and Comparative Literature and Classical Persian Poetry, Bibliotheca Iranica: Intellectual Traditions Series (Mazda Press: Los Angeles, CA, 2000), both of which have been translated into Persian and distributed in Iran.
Copyright © 2012 The Newsweek/Daily Beast Company LLC.
[Image: Indian Muslims offer Eid al-Fitr prayers at the Shahi Jama Masjid Mosque in the Walled City of Ahmedabad on August 20, 2012. (© Sam Panthaky, AFP/Getty Images)]
THIS IS REALLY COOL AND EASY TO READ
thank you for catering to my ignorance and making me less so <3
never judge a religion by its lunatic fringe.
Most marriages during the time this was written were contracts. I find it strange that anyone could call Mohammed a womanizer when Abraham had like, ninety wives.
This is really great information and I learned a lot of new things. Thank you!
Okay so Christmas isn’t far off and I’m really excited, so I’ve decided to do a Christmas themed giveaway!
There will be only one winner, but that lovely person will get any two types of cookies of his/her choosing (and I mean two full batches, not individual cookies). They will be hand-made by yours truly, and just today I’ve been called the best baker in my very large family. You will also get assorted Christmasey themed candies like red and green Hershey Kisses and Lindt chocolate truffles. There will also be a lovely card with loads of compliments addressed to YOU! If you win, I will need to know about any food-related allergies that you have, accommodations can be easily made.
You do not have to be following me to enter.
- likes and reblogs both count
- reblog as many times as you want, just no spamming please!
- no giveaway blogs please! (I will check)
- I will ship anywhere in the world
- ask boxes must be open so I can contact you
- you must be comfortable with giving me your address
- I will pick the winners via a random number generator
- I will message the winners - if I don’t get a reply within 3 days, I’ll choose another winner
The deadline to enter is DECEMBER 9TH AT MIDNIGHT.
Guys join this because it’s gonna be really great and everything I’ll be sending the winner is A+ 10/10
MORE LIKE WHAT CUTES OMFG
btw Vittoria does the same. She also sits on her butt like a human I shit you not xD
man it’s super late but i basically boils down to
- i’m not a fan of the doctor behaving like a complete child
- not bothering to find amy’s baby
- not telling amy about being pregnant
- brainwashing humanity to murder for him
- stalking clara/not telling her he’s met her twice before
- effectively murdering oswin by leaving her to die in the explosion he enables by removing the defences and not taking her with him just because her mind is trapped in a metal tank
- murdering dozens of coma patients by exploding the spaceship without even thinking about rescuing them
- not a fan of a character who is constantly lying and who i can’t trust as a viewer
- i didn’t realise this for ages, but the way he spits out food and water onto amelia’s floor, and throws/smashes china plates- like oh my god little 7 year old amelia is going to have clear that up you asshole?
- letting river take the fall for his murder so that he can remain ‘in the shadows’, while she spends her life locked up in a cell
- phrases like ‘humany wumany’ and ‘explodey wodey’
- the constant twirling
- ’——- are cool’
- him cutting himself off from humanity and literally sulking in a cloud because his friends are happy together (and totally able to seem him again tbqh), after he failed to manipulate amy into staying with him
- talking down to people, calling them stupid (strax for example)
- sexually assaulting rory
- sexually assaulting a married queer woman and not apologising when she slaps him.
- making boner movements with various phallic objects
- acting sexually aware one minute (wrt river, leering at clara’s bum) and then the next he’s flailing like a kid when he’s being kissed and not understanding that craig is implying sex or that amy and rory are having sex
- acting like he’s never been on earth before and not understanding human customs (somewhat limited to the craig episodes which is why i don’t like them)
- sick of stories centering on his importance to the universe
- forcing river to break her wrist and screaming at her, despite the fact that they could have just written the line about it being broken in the book, but not gone ahead with it irl
- sniggering behind clara’s back when she accuses him of thinking women can’t drive
- his reply ‘it’s a woman’ and facial expression to the monk
- forcing his friends to witness his ‘death’ and to think he’s dead for god knows how long
- when rory crashes the TARDIS because he was distracted by looking up amy’s skirt, instead of telling rory to pay more attention, he tells amy to put some trousers on
- how he’s constantly running from his darkest day, or his darkest hour and rising up higher than before and falling father than before and omg stop being so dramatic
- ‘ Ah, well, she’s been brainwashed. It all makes sense to her. Plus, she is a woman.’there’s probably more but it’s 2am
I never thought the Lavender Town song could be any creepier… Then I heard this.
I’m decorating my blog for Christmas \(OワO)/
Whoa, this is amazing! Thank you SO MUCH!!! ♥ ♥ it’s better than I had hoped!!
when you find out your friend shares your kinks